Spark! Ideas Conference in 2017
DENVER, CO – The Spark! Ideas Conference is an exhilarating afternoon of creative inspiration designed for marching band directors, music instructors, college students; anyone who wants to refuel a passion for music performance and expand their professional network.
The conference is entering its 2nd year produced by Ascend Performing Arts that falls under Ascend Education. This year’s Spark! is sponsored in part by Jupiter Brass, Mapex Percussion, Majestic Percussion and the Utah Music Educators Association.
- Show Program Design
- Electronics & Sound Design
- Music Ensemble Techniques
- Visual Techniques
- and more!
- Corps Encore: July 12, 2017 at Weber State University, Ogden, UT.
Detailed schedule will be emailed out to registered attendees. Here is the general timeline:
- Check-in/Registration: 12:00pm
- Conference: 1:00pm-5:00pm
- Access to Spark! conference
- A meal and refreshments
- A “premium ticket” to the show (either Corps Encore) PLEASE NOTE: DUE TO LIMITED SEATING, PREMIUM TICKET IS NOT GUARANTEED AND MAY BE SUBSTITUTED WITH ANY TICKET AT SHOW EVENT.
- General Admission:
- Early Bird (before July 11th): $75
- At the Door: $85
- Student Admission:
- Early Bird (before July 11th): $50
- At the Door: $60
Additional premium tickets for Corps Encore can be purchased for Spark! guests not attending the conference. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to order your tickets for the following shows:
- Corps Encore tickets ($30 value)
Conference Facilitators include:
- Jed Weeks currently serves as the Program Coordinator for the Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corps. He was on the brass staff for the Santa Clara Vanguard from 1996-2003, serving as the brass caption head in 2002-2003. He was also a member of the Cavaliers brass staff in 1994, and the Sky Ryders in 1991. Jed earned his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from of the University of Houston and is currently in his fifth year as the Director of Bands at Byron Nelson High School in Trophy Club, Texas.
- Brad Toth is the Brass Caption Head for the Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps. Brad has been involved in music education for over 12 years as a band director and clinician in Texas. Brad has worked as an instructor with The Cadets for several years before coming to the Blue Knights in 2011 as a brass instructor. He is currently in his 6th year with Blue Knights and 4th year as the Brass Caption Head. Brad lives in Fort Worth with his wife Sara and teaches instrumental music at Byron Nelson High School in Trophy Club, Texas.
- Neil Adkison is the Visual Caption Head for the Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps. Neil became involved with the drum corps activity in 1996 rocking a 2-valve soprano with the San Diego Earthquake. Two years later he made the Concord Blue Devils, where he spent the remaining 5 years of his marching career as a lead soprano. Upon aging out in 2002, Neil began instructing on the staff of the Santa Clara Vanguard, Carolina Crown, Madison Scouts and with numerous high school and college band programs. This will be Neil’s 2nd year serving as the visual caption head with the Blue Knights. This winter, Neil will be working with Rhythm X and Rhythm X Winds and is a full time teacher at the Warren County Learning Center in Franklin Ohio.
- Brandy DuBose is the Color Guard Caption Head for the Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps. Brandy DuBose is the director and choreographer for the Arizona State University Sun Devil Color Guard. Brandy was born and raised in Texas, where she attended Texas State University-San Marcos as a Dance Performance major, and also taught the Bobcat Marching Band Color Guard and Millennia Independent Open Winterguard for 11 years. In Texas, she taught the Seguin High School color guard for 10 years, from 1995-2006. After moving to Arizona in May 2006, Brandy began working with ASU.