Spark! Ideas Conference in 2017
DENVER, CO – The Spark! Ideas Conference is an exhilarating afternoon of creative inspiration designed for marching band directors, music instructors, college students; anyone who wants to refuel a passion for music performance and expand their professional network.
The conference is entering its 2nd year produced by Ascend Performing Arts that falls under Ascend Education. This year’s Spark! is sponsored in part by Jupiter Brass, Mapex Percussion, Majestic Percussion and the Colorado Bandmasters Association.
- Show Program Design
- Electronics & Sound Design
- Music Ensemble Techniques
- Visual Techniques
- and more!
- Corps Encore: July 12, 2017 at Weber State University, Ogden, UT.
- Drums Along the Rockies: July 15, 2017 at Mile High Stadium, Denver, CO.
Detailed schedule will be emailed out to registered attendees. Here is the general timeline:
- Check-in/Registration: 12:00pm
- Conference: 1:00pm-5:00pm
- Access to Spark! conference
- A meal and refreshments
- A “premium ticket” to the show (either Corps Encore or Drums Along the Rockies) PLEASE NOTE: DUE TO LIMITED SEATING, PREMIUM TICKET IS NOT GUARANTEED AND MAY BE SUBSTITUTED WITH ANY TICKET AT SHOW EVENT.
- General Admission:
- Early Bird (before June 30th): $75
- At the Door: $85
- Student Admission:
- Early Bird (before June 30th): $50
- At the Door: $60
Additional premium tickets for Corps Encore and Drums Along the Rockies can be purchased for Spark! guests not attending the conference. Contact email@example.com to order your tickets for the following shows:
- Corps Encore tickets ($30 value)
- Drums Along the Rockies tickets ($85 value)
Conference Facilitators include:
- Jed Weeks currently serves as the Program Coordinator for the Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corps. He was on the brass staff for the Santa Clara Vanguard from 1996-2003, serving as the brass caption head in 2002-2003. He was also a member of the Cavaliers brass staff in 1994, and the Sky Ryders in 1991. Jed earned his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from of the University of Houston and is currently in his fifth year as the Director of Bands at Byron Nelson High School in Trophy Club, Texas.
- Tommy Keenum is the Program Consultant for the Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corps where he helps coordinate their visual and musical presentation. He is also responsible for the Blue Knights’ uniform, costume, flag design and production in partnership with The Band Hall in Nashville, TN. Tommy graduated from the University of Texas at Arlington where he was drum major of the marching band. In his +30 years in the pageantry arts Tommy helped design beloved shows for numerous groups including The Sky Ryders, The Cadets, Santa Clara Vanguard, Phantom Regiment, Carolina Crown, and currently the Blue Knights.
- Mike Jackson is the Percussion Caption Head and Percussion Arranger for the Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps. For over two decades, Mike has been writing, teaching and designing shows for some of the most nationally recognized percussion programs in the United States. These include Mission Viejo High School, Riverside Community College, Santa Clara Vanguard, and the Bluecoats. Mike is a co-founder and current board member for the Southern California Percussion Alliance. He also sits on the Board of Directors for Winter Guard International and was recently inducted into the WGI Hall of Fame.
- Kevin Shah is the Music Coordinator, Percussion Composer/Arranger for the Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps. He is a member of the DCI Rules & Systems Task Force and WGI Percussion Steering Committee. Kevin holds a B.M. in percussion performance from UCLA where he studied with Mitchell Peters, and an M.M. in percussion performance from the Juilliard School of Music. As a percussionist, Kevin has performed with the Metropolitan Opera, the Pacific Symphony, and has traveled to Europe, South Korea, Japan, and Australia while performing with the UBS Verbier Festival Orchestra. Kevin owns and operates projectRISEmusic.com which features many of his works for marching band and indoor percussion ensemble.
- Juan Carlos Caceres is the Visual Designer and Choreographer for the Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps. He is a highly sought-after choreographer, designer and visual consultant. Juan Carlos has worked with dozens of Winter Guard International winter guards and indoor percussion ensembles and high school marching bands and a number of Drum Corps International groups including the Cadets, Madison Scouts, and the Bluecoats.
- Brad Toth has been involved in music education for over 12 years as a band director and clinician in Texas. Brad has worked as an instructor with The Cadets for several years before coming to the Blue Knights in 2011 as a brass instructor. He is currently in his 6th year with Blue Knights and 4th year as the Brass Caption Head. Brad lives in Fort Worth with his wife Sara and teaches instrumental music at Byron Nelson High School in Trophy Club, Texas.
- Neil Adkison is the Visual Caption Head for the Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps. Neil became involved with the drum corps activity in 1996 rocking a 2-valve soprano with the San Diego Earthquake. Two years later he made the Concord Blue Devils, where he spent the remaining 5 years of his marching career as a lead soprano. Upon aging out in 2002, Neil began instructing on the staff of the Santa Clara Vanguard, Carolina Crown, Madison Scouts and with numerous high school and college band programs. This will be Neil’s 2nd year serving as the visual caption head with the Blue Knights. This winter, Neil will be working with Rhythm X and Rhythm X Winds and is a full time teacher at the Warren County Learning Center in Franklin Ohio.